What is mental health?
Mental health is the overall well-being of our physical, emotional, and social lives. Our mental health is a huge part of our lives, and it's incredibly important that we prioritize mental health in our day-to-day lives.
Why is mental health important?
Poor mental health can affect your life in a number of ways. It can make it difficult to cope with everyday stress, manage your emotions, relate to others, and make healthy choices. Poor mental health can also lead to physical health problems, such as high blood pressure and heart disease. In severe cases, it can even lead to suicide.
If you are struggling with poor mental health, it is important to seek help from a qualified mental health professional. With treatment, you can learn how to better manage your symptoms and improve your quality of life.
Positive Mental Health
Being in a good relationship with yourself and have positive mental health can allow you to:
- Make meaningful contributions to those important to you.
- Cope with stress in day-to-day life and increase ability to be resilient.
- Recover from trauma/conflict.
- Become less likely to develop depression or chronic diseases.
- Increase your open mindedness.
- Build your self-confidence.
- Find a life balance.
- Find a sense of contentment.
Ways that you can maintain a positive mental health include:
- Getting enough sleep.
- Developing plans for coping with stress.
- Set goals and priorities.
- Connecting with those around you.
- Physical activity.
- Focus on positivity.
- Helping others.
- Enjoy your hobbies and take some "me" time.
- Talk about your feelings.
- Seeking professional health, if you feel you need it.
- And more!